***** With apologies for any cross-posting *****

Dear Gem Colleagues

A reminder that to mark the 25th anniversary of engage, the next issue of
the engage Journal will look back at the development of gallery education
over that period and reflect on where it stands now. A call for proposals
for contributions to this issue is currently open, with a deadline of 10am
on this Friday 27 June.

Established in 1989 as the National Association for Gallery Education, the
development of engage coincides with both the development of gallery
education as a distinct area of practice in the UK, and significant change
within the visual arts and education sectors. Amongst these changes were:
investment in cultural organisations developing education work in the 1980s;
investment by government in new audiences engaging with the arts and
culture; re-housing the arts through the Lottery in the late 1990s and
2000s. Currently we are working in the context of the austerity of the
2000s, where less investment in culture from the public sector and major
changes in the education sector in England could threaten the engagement of
children and young people in arts and culture. Conversely, these challenges
may be may stimulate innovation and partnership in the field of gallery
education.

We are principally looking at the development of gallery education in the
UK. But we would very much welcome contributions from colleagues worldwide
on how practice in the UK has affected their work, and also reflections on
the exchange of knowledge and practice between gallery education colleagues
in the UK and internationally.

We would like to hear both from colleagues with a long view of gallery
education and those who have entered it more recently. We would like to hear
from colleagues who have contributed to the field of gallery education in
different roles - artists, educators, curators, policy makers and funders.
This issue might take a slightly different form to encourage multiple voices
and views. We invite proposals for traditional articles between 1,500 and
4,000 words, and we also invite colleagues to contribute short or more
informal responses to questions which can be found at
http://engage.org/proposals-engage35

If you are interested in contributing to this issue, please send an informal
proposal of no more than 300 words, your job/freelance title and contact
details to [log in to unmask] by Friday 27 June 2014 at 10am.

The submission deadline for engage 35 is Monday 15 September 2014. We
welcome contributions that make use of the engage Journal?s online format. I
would be grateful if you could share this opportunity with any contacts you
think might be interested.

With best wishes,

Ailbhe

engage in the
visual arts

Ailbhe Mac Eoin
Communications Officer

engage Central Office, Rich Mix, 35-47 Bethnal Green Road, London E1 6LA
T +44 (0)20 7729 5858  F +44 (0)20 7739 3688  E [log in to unmask]
W http://www.engage.org
engage, the National Association for Gallery Education, is a charitable
company limited by guarantee. Charity number: 1087471 Company number:
4194208 OSCR number: SC039719. Registered office: Rich Mix, 35 - 47 Bethnal
Green Road, London E1 6LA

> * engage in membership
>         Join over 900 members in the UK and worldwide and become part of the
> UK's most effective advocacy and support organisation for gallery education -
> from just ¡Ì33.50 per year http://www.engage.org/join
>
> * engage in the visual arts education sector
>         Nominate a colleague for a Marsh Award for Excellence in Gallery
> Education and they could win ¡Ì500 for their CPD ¡© visit
> http://engage.org/marsh-awards-2014 for further information
>
> * engage in professional development
                The engage International Conference will take place on 10
and 11 November in Leeds - visit http://engage.org/engageconference2014 for
further details, and follow #engconf14 on Twitter

If you have received this email in error please notify [log in to unmask]
Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free from
viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is requested to use
their own virus checking software.