Hello everyone

As I had so many requests to share the responses I thought best to send to the whole list.

If you would like to know more about one of the response, i.e. contact the sender let me know and I will liaise!

1.            Have you considered using Scratch at all?

Can be used to create games by those from eight years upwards.

They love it!

Easy when you know how and have had a play.

2.            Pervasive media studio have done lots. Based at Watershed, Bristol.

3.            You’ll probably get flooded with responses from developers for this! I do develop - but hopefully you’ll find this useful information.

Perhaps the main thing to think about is whether you want to develop the item as a downloadable app or as a mobile webpage?

If as a downloadable app then you need to think about how to get it onto devices. For Apple products, this means joining the Apple developer programme (at a cost of ~£70 p.a.) and submitting your app through the app store. For Android, you can either submit to Google Play Store, or deliver directly (if people are comfortable downloading and self-installing). Another angle with Android is that it provides a chance for further youth involvement if you develop it, for example, through MIT app inventor (http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/)

 - why not get some of the target audience to build the app? (In fact here’s a page that shows you how to display maps: http://explore.appinventor.mit.edu/displaying-maps)

Plus-sides: App has a ready made icon on screen. Can be used without WIFI/Mobile data if maps, etc embedded in the app.

Down-sides: Updates require re-release. If web-based data accessed by the phone wifi/mobile data is required.

For web-use you’ll just develop a web-app page and point people at it. This is easier to maintain and update as everything is stored on one server. You can use the standard browser to do this.

Plus-sides: Easy to maintain, update and expand. No ongoing app developer costs

Down-sides: Mobiel data required. Not an app - so will typically have to bookmark a page or manually set-up an icon.

An in-between solution is to develop an app that reads a web-page which gives the best of both worlds (and some of the worst).

With all this, please be careful if you intend to use QR codes that link via a web-page URL shortening site. The reason being there’s a nasty little patent out there waiting to bite people who do: http://www.paperspecs.com/beware-the-qr-code-patent-trap/

4.            Knowle West Media Centre, Bristol have produced a number of similar games and apps at the media centre.

5.            Sounds like geo-caching.

Think there is an app that you can use to create your own geo-caching activity.

6.            Hi Helen, we did something like that with Glenfrome Primary School (I think it was them!) in Bristol

7.            We've set up a few of these and we are now working on a set of them for Cambridge. The nice thing is that many of the apps are now free to use and distribute, the only costs are writing and populating the app.

Do invest in good content.

Don't pay for coding. Some heritage bodies have wasted thousands on coding when an off-the-shelf solution was available.

8.            Here’s one to add to the list: http://www.mixedrealitystudio.com/blog/arts-gaming-for-interactive-learning-and-engagement-agile/

Hope it’s as useful as it was to me!

Best wishes

Helen

Helen Jeffrey

Community Learning & Volunteer Officer

Clifton Suspension Bridge Trust

Bridge Road, Leigh Woods, Bristol BS8 3PA

CLV Officer: 07703 609277

Visitor Centre: 0117 974 4664

www.cliftonbridge.org.uk

Facebook: www.facebook.com/brunelsbridge

Twitter: www.twitter.com/brunelsbridge

Please think about the environment before printing this email

believed to be clean. + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + GEM list: Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask] For information about joining, leaving and suspending mail (eg during a holiday) see the list website at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=GEM + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +