On World Refugee Day, 20 June 2014, the Humanitarian Innovation Project launches a new report, Refugee Economies: Rethinking Popular Assumptions, which aims to challenge the current model of donor state-led assistance, drawing on ground-breaking new research on the economic life of refugees in Uganda. By attempting to understand the economic systems of displaced populations, we hope to generate new ideas which can turn current humanitarian realities into sustainable opportunities.

Our research findings are organised around five popular myths:

1. that refugees are economically isolated;
2. that they are a burden on host states;
3. that they are economically homogenous;
4. that they are technologically illiterate;
5. that they are dependent on humanitarian assistance.

In each case, we show that our data challenges or fundamentally nuances each of those ideas. We show a refugee community that is nationally and transnationally integrated, contributes in positive ways to the national economy, is economically diverse, uses and creates technology, and is far from uniformly dependent on international assistance.

Join us in celebrating World Refugee Day by showing your support for an alternative, empowering approach to refugee assistance. Make your voice heard by signing up for our Thunderclap campaign at https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/12304-support-refugeeeconomies, and download the report free-of-charge from 20 June, at www.rsc.ox.ac.uk/refugeeeconomies.

How Thunderclap works:

Supporters can sign up for our Thunderclap using Facebook, Twitter or Tumblr. On 20 June, a message about the new Refugee Economies report will be shared at the same time automatically from each supporter's account. Once you sign up, no further effort is required on your part. In order for our Thunderclap to take place, we need 100 people to sign up before 20 June. No messages will go out unless we reach this goal, so please sign up and forward this information along to as many friends and colleagues as you can. More information about Thunderclap is available here: https://www.thunderclap.it/faq.

To find out more about the Humanitarian Innovation Project, please visit: http://www.oxhip.org/

Note: The material contained in this communication comes to you from the
Forced Migration Discussion List which is moderated by Forced Migration
Online, Refugee Studies Centre (RSC), Oxford Department of International
Development, University of Oxford. It does not necessarily reflect the
views of the RSC or the University. If you re-print, copy, archive or
re-post this message please retain this disclaimer. Quotations or
extracts should include attribution to the original sources.

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Posting guidelines: http://www.forcedmigration.org/research-resources/discussion/forced-migration-discussion-list-posting-guidelines