This could be key - taken from the original question to the list...

"Looking at records supplied with the request, the emails appear to describe an individual but not clearly the requester or by name and are purely of a non-corporate nature and very obviously personal from a health and wellbeing perspective."

When faced with this, are we even sure that we're dealing with personal data?  That is, are the mails actually discussing the requestor, or are they discussing someone quite different, known only to the sender and recipient? If, for example, the mails discuss a relative with prostate issues and the requestor is female, it seems unlikely they are one and the same person. If the requestor is male however, they could be one and the same, but we cannot be sure without further data.

If either the sender or recipient had 'fessed up and identified the person they were discussing by name to the company, then the mails might (depending on the name confessed - i.e. is it the same name as the requestor?) become personal data.

Of course, if you don't ask the employees for names, then the company (as DC) doesn't hold any other information that would identify the subject of the conversation - and so it remains non-personal data in the hands of the company.

Regards,

Owen