Hi Richard

Your lengthy posting was an excellent summary of the issues around contaminated land and C4SLs in the planning and development context.

I have no doubt that far more poor health is going to result from lack of suitable housing in the coming years, that would ever occur from the minor, and largely theoretical, relaxation in generic assessment criteria represented by use of C4SL's.

Where I do take issue is with your following statement:

"During any development the LA will levy a whole load of ‘planning obligations’ on a site.  Often they can be about 1/3 or more of the ENTIRE market cost of a site (so the actual costs from the sale of the houses).  These ‘obligations’ are, very simplistically, extra costs the development must bear if the developer wants his profit and wants to build.  If you don’t or can’t agree them, you can’t build, even if you have planning permission, since the permission is conditional on agreeing the obligations.  Such payments may be to the ‘local’ area for schools, doctors, road improvements, social care, affordable housing, parks and children facilities, as well as a whole load of other things.  If there are many abnormals on a site, such as remediation, then it is the obligations to the local community that have to decrease rather than dealing with the abnormals and profit margins."

Planning obligations are not "extra costs that the developer must bear". They should be treated the same as "abnormal costs" that should be factored in as a reduction in value of the land at the time of purchase, pre development. So if, say, a green field, value £20,000/hectare, gets planning consent it wouldn't become worth £20,000,000/hectare. If the planning obligations (together with the remediation cost in the case of a brownfield site) add up, say, to £12,000,000 per acre, the land should be worth only £8,000,000.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like this. The land gets sold to the highest bidder, effectively therefore the housebuilder that thinks it can get away with the least expenditure on planning obligations and remediation. Worse, the land buyers have such power in housebuilders that they have become little more than land buying companies, using building methods that are over half a century out of date and aggressively opposing all innovation.

And of course, those that own potential development land, whether greenfield or brownfield, have a vested interest in maintaining the housing shortage as it leverages increases in land prices. This current model will never solve our housing shortage.

The UK housebuilding model is fundamentally broken and has been since the 1980s. We need far more radical solutions to free up affordable land to allow more new houses to be built than tinkering with planning guidance and C4SLs. For brownfield land, we have wasted 20 years with Part IIA. We need a regime that pushes this land into remediation and redevelopment, that moves beyond human health considerations and factors in non-use, blight and dereliction. For greenfield land, especially if we are to be doing garden cities, we need to re-invent the New Town model of purchasing the land at agricultural value (with a modest uplift to compensate for disruption) and use the increase in value as the land is developed to fund the new infrastructure.

Regards

Frank Westcott

Technical Solutions for Sustainability and Brownfield Development

Magnolia House, 15a Fore Street, Roche, St Austell, Cornwall PL26 8EP
0330 330 8015
07973 616197

This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information and/or
copyright material which is intended only for the addressees named above.
Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised and copying, distribution
or any action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Westenviro does not warrant that any e-mail messages and attachments are free from viruses or other defects and accept no liability for any losses resulting from infected email transmissions.