Hi Karen

The cause may be natural – bacteriological.

See link for more information – section on oily film:

http://priede.bf.lu.lv/grozs/HidroBiologjijas/FieldGuideAquaticPhenomena.pdf

If linked to bacterial growth then be aware that under certain conditions the bacteria can flourish to form a mass that is gelatinous. This mass can cause blockages in confined spaces such as culverts.

Kind regards

Ruth

Ruth Willcox
Environmental Protection Officer