Hello - I am both a qualitative researcher and psychotherapist.  I run a social enterprise called Talk for Health where I am interested in promoting ‘therapeutic talk’ between ordinary people.  I suppose this fits somewhere in between a therapeutic and non-therapetuic intervention, depending on how you define such things.  I’m also interested in making my offering much more ‘lay’ - i.e. something that happens in for example coffee bars, and much more informally.  I could be interested in collaborating either as a researcher and/or as a subject of your research - bw, Nicky

On 16 Jun 2014, at 11:07, Carl Walker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi All
> Some colleagues and I are looking for some partners across the UK and Europe who may be interested in doing some work on critical approaches to the psy disciplines through exploring experiences of misery and the alleviation of misery that have been typically been constituted as ‘lay’, ‘naïve’ and ‘mundane’. The idea is to explore a range of everyday spatial contexts in which there is no access to formal and informal therapeutic interventions. A project summary is below. If anyone is interested or knows of anyone who would be good to approach then I'd be very grateful.
> Ta
> Carl
>
> Visualising therapeutic spaces for mental distres.
>
> Project draft outline-
>
> The implementation of IAPT and its attendant limitations, in conjunction with an awareness of the colonisation of everyday experience represented by increasingly problematic versions of the DSM, provides a fertile context for reimagining the ways in which we think about the ownership, constitution and reproduction of mental distress. There is a need to continue to work toward a sustained social approach, which addresses the symbolic and material realities of people’s lived experiences rather than reify recovery simply as a journey through the institutions of medicine and the psy professions. To understand what constitutes a therapeutic space requires a consideration of the multiple ways in which social experiences can reveal beneficial impacts on people’s lives.  This project will allow us to further explore the fundamentally social nature of distress and recoveries and allow a broadening of our understanding of what, if anything, constitutes the ‘therapeutic’. It is predicated on an understanding that important mental distress work occurs in a great variety of lay social settings, in arts centres, walks, community groups and others. It will facilitate an examination of the non-medical intersubjective and spatial processes and relationships that are crucial to experiences that are useful to those experiencing distress, but which are often neglected and subordinated in the professional worlds of psychology and psychiatry.We propose to use visual methods of research that examine everyday and mundane experiences in a range of spatial contexts which do not involve formal therapeutic interventions. We will use visual, mobile and co-designed methods for data collection and analysis. The visual data will then be used in a process of co-designed film-elicitation in which participants can re-visit their collected images and re-interpret their experiences, both on a one to one basis with a researcher and in small groups. We will organize a film elicitation ‘workshop’, in which various options for handling the visual data will be discussed and then put into practice.

> [...]

Nicky Forsythe
www.positive-therapy.co.uk