Hi George

Yes you do.  It's important to understand that you are not comparing the MTZ file ("the data") with the PDB file ("the model"): that's not possible, at least not directly.  So you can't simply change the PDB file, redo the comparison and hope to get sensible results.  EDSTATS is _not_ "fitting" the PDB file into the density.  Rather, what you are doing is comparing 2 density maps both calculated using the _same_ MTZ file (since it contains multiple columns), specifically the "observed" (2mFo-DFc) exp(i phic) density with the "calculated" DFc exp(i phic) density.

The function of the PDB file is first to calculate Fc & phic and the map coefficients: you have to do that yourself using Refmac, and then in EDSTATS to define the regions of density where the comparisons are to take place (using the atomic co-ordinates & calculated radii).  So the PDB file supplied to EDSTATS must be _exactly_ the same one that was used to calculate SFs in Refmac (i.e. the one output by Refmac).  The Fc and phic values needed to calculate both maps require the whole model, otherwise the results will be meaningless.  When you talk about the model of a structure, you mean the entire structure (as far as it is known), not selected bits of it.

HTH

Cheers

-- Ian