Hi Jacob,

Hbo energy is an empirical function for most biological molecules.

The one I use takes into account Coulomb's law for charges and van der Waals (both attractive and repulsive) interactions.
The equation's parameters are adjusted to implicitly take into account contributions from "charge transfer" and polarization.
There is also a cosinusoidal parameter to account for directionality as the Hbo interaction is by essence non isotropic.
This parameter is 1 for both N -H °°° O and H°°°O=C equal to 180 ° and 0 if either N -H °°° O or H°°°O=C is 90 ° Other electron-donor atoms may be involved but the strategy used is similar.
Parameter values in between are calculated by means of a cosinusoidal equation.

As you may see, explicit H atoms are required to calculate this energy and therefore they need to be built "adequately" prior to doing that and that is a real challenge far from being trivial.

Best,

Nadir Mrabet

Pr. Nadir T. Mrabet
Structural & Molecular Biochemistry
N-gere - INSERM U-964
University of Lorraine, Nancy
School of Science and Technology
and School of Medicine
9, Avenue de la Foret de Haye
54500 Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy, France
Tel. (direct) : +33 (0)3.83.68.32.73
Tel. (secretary) : +33 (0)3.83.68.32.92
Fax. : +33 (0)3.83.68.32.79
Email : Nadir.Mrabet <at> univ-lorraine.fr

Hi Jacob,

Modeling programs need to take hydrogen bonding into account in their force fields so they typically have good measures for hydrogen bonds. I personally use YASARA to get the numbers you want.
This is also what PDB_REDO uses to give you the hydrogen bond energy and the the number of hydrogen bonds for each ligand.

Cheers,
Robbie

Sent from my Windows Phone