Hi George,

The R-factor is an overall disagreement statistic, it can not be broken down in parts for bits of the structure.
(in other words, you can not correlate parts of the model with a subset of the reflections in the mtz, as a non-crystallographer might think - all the electrons in the asymmetric unit contribute to the intensity of each reflection)

what you can calculate for parts of the structure is how well it agrees with the corresponding part of the map, and some of the structure validation programs output statistics like this, i.e. map correlation per residue. And you could then average this for the residues of interest I suppose.

Mark J van Raaij
Lab 20B
Dpto de Estructura de Macromoleculas
Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia - CSIC