Hi Pavel,

maybe I should have explained in better detail to avoid confusion. The
importance of the contribution to the X-ray term from hydrogens has
been well-known (and used in refinement programs) for - I guess - more
than 40 years, but I am sure you know that.

I meant to say that small variations in the hydrogen position don't
show up for X-ray data, which is why they can be calculated even at
0.8A resolution. Maybe you could repeat the study you point at and
move the hydrogen atoms, e.g. 0.3A out of their calculated position -
my guess is such a variation would no show up in the map or the
R-values at resolutions ranges significant for macromolecules. But
these differences may matter when it comes to quantum chemical
calculations, and Jeffrey's post seems to support this.

I am puzzled that you observe the same with neutron data, i.e. you see
no difference between the riding hydrogen model and restraining them.
Does phenix, by any chance, refine the B-values rather than constrain
them as implied by 'riding atom model'? This would be very unusual and
might explain why the differences are not detected with phenix.

In our work using shelxl, which I mentioned before, the quality
differences where really striking despite the low data completeness.
Interesting that phenix seems to wipe out the most interesting part of
(MX) neutron data.

Cheers,
Tim

On 06/16/2014 08:09 PM, Pavel Afonine wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> just to spice your words up with some numbers....
>
> You may also want to note that constrained hydrogen positions are
>> crude approximation and only work with X-ray data where hydrogen
>> atoms have little impact on the data.
>

> This contribution can be as large as 1.5% difference in R-factor
> (with vs without H), as shown in Figure 2 (page 19; "On the
> contribution of hydrogen atoms to X-ray scattering"):
> http://phenix-online.org/newsletter/CCN_2012_01.pdf
>

>> Our comparison between hydrogen restraints and constraints
>> (http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S1600576713027659) report the greater
>> quality of restraints vs. constraints when it comes to neutron
>> data, where hydrogen atoms do matter.
>

> I just re-refined (phenix.refine) all neutron structures available
> in PDB (for which I could extract diffraction data without manual
> labor; 55 in total) with two ways of handling H (D and H/D) atoms:
> a) refine H individually, and b) using riding model for H
> (rotatable H are adjusted to fit the map). In terms of Rfree and
> Rwork I don't see a huge difference. However, using riding model
> results in less overfitting:
> http://cci.lbl.gov/~afonine/tmp/r_stats.pdf
>
> This is not surprising given typical quality of neutron data:
> average (all neutron entries in PDB) completeness of neutron data
> sets is 76%, while average completeness of comparable X-ray data
> sets is 94% (page 21):
> http://phenix-online.org/presentations/latest/2012_afonine_ecm27-final.pdf
>
>  All the best, Pavel

- --