CAS members may be interested in the following events being organised by our sister group the Computer Conservation Society:

Begin forwarded message:

Dear Fellow Members

I am writing to give you details of several events that are coming up in September and October.

IBM Hursley House and Museum

Last year we organised a very successful all day visit to Hursley and due to space limitations had to disappoint some members. So we have organised a repeat visit on Friday September 26th based on the same programme as last year starting at 10.45AM. The museum has continued to develop and some members who attended last year plan to attend once again. The cost is £12 to cover tea/coffee on arrival and buffet lunch.

Pre-booking is essential due to site security and will close one week before the visit. Booking via BCS website at https://events.bcs.org/book/1105/

Visit to Heinz Nixdorf Museum, Paderborn, Germany

Following the very interesting talk by Dr Jochen Viehoff, the museum’s Director, members of the CCS have been invited to visit the museum. I am pleased to tell you that we have arranged for a visit to the Heinz Nixdorf museum in Paderborn in Germany on Saturday September 20th.

We expect to travel on Friday and spend Saturday at the museum. The visit has been agreed with the museum but final details have still to be settled. However we expect to have a short briefing about the museum and to spend much of Saturday at the museum.

Those attending will be responsible for making their own travel and hotel arrangements. A number of us have booked into the Best Western Hotel Arosa in Paderborn which is conveniently located for the museum and city centre.

If you are interested in joining this visit please let me know as it would be helpful to have some idea of numbers.

September London Lecture

The opening lecture of the 2014/5 season will be on Thursday September 11th when Alan Thomson and John Buckle will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 1900 with a talk entitled “The Origins of the 1900 series (1961-64)”. This will start at 2.30PM, doors open from 2PM in the Fellows Library at the Science Museum.

October London Lecture

Advanced notice of a special lecture to mark the 25th anniversary of the CCS’ founding in 1989 on Thursday October 16th. Doron Swade will talk on the topic of Computer Conservation and Museums: Fight or Flight?

I do hope you may be able to attend some or even all of these events as we start our 26th year of meetings.

 Roger Johnson

CCS Programme Secretary

====
Paul Brown - based in the UK March to May 2014
http://www.paul-brown.com == http://www.brown-and-son.com
UK Mobile +44 (0)794 104 8228
Skype paul-g-brown
====
Honorary Visiting Professor - Sussex University
http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/ccnr/research/creativity.html
====