We are delighted to announce the launch of Kingston University Archives Digital Collections online.  This new website has been created to showcase items from the University’s Archives and Special Collections, and to bring them to a worldwide audience.

Visitors to the site can search and view the images, the first of which relate to the history of Kingston University and its predecessor bodies, with an initial focus on Gipsy Hill Teacher Training College. In the coming months staff from Library and Learning Services will be working hard to get many more of our University history related photographs online. Not only will this support research into the University’s own history as we head towards the 25th anniversary of our becoming a University in 2017, the photographs will also be a welcome additional resource in other areas of research, including social history, women’s studies, the history of education and history of fashion.

Some of the photographs are lacking detail. For example, we don’t know who the subjects are, or which buildings are featured and we hope that visitors to the site will help us to identify them, by leaving a comment on the website or by contacting us directly at [log in to unmask]

The new site has been created using the CONTENTdm Digital Asset Management system, a product of OCLC.  CONTENTdm has been used by historical and educational institutions around the world to give access to their archival collections; you can find out more about CONTENTdm here.

Katie Giles

Archivist
Kingston University