From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of GIFFORD BATSTONE [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 19 June 2014 03:35 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Issues re reporting Blood lead and HbA1c

Dear Collective Brain

The maintenance and updating of the Pathology Bounded Code List (PBCL) is overseen by the Pathology Catalogues Executive Team (PCET) at the College - more can be found on the College website.

Last week PCET discussed two issues about naming and reporting but wish to have a wider review before finalising our recommendations.

There is a legal requirement to report blood lead concentrations as ug/dl rather than SI units - The Control of Lead at Work 2002 and yet for clinical purposes most labs will use SI units.
  The PCET proposed mitigation is that blood lead requests could be differentiated as being associated with the monitoring of lead workers eg Blood Lead (Occupational) reported in ug/dL and for other clinical purposes Blood Lead (Clinical) in umol/L. This creates two report items for the same assay but avoids two sets of units for the same assay.

The second issue was raised by GPs in relation to HbA1c being used both for monitoring glycaemic control and in the diagnosis of diabetes. The use of NICE guidance as action indicators with HbA1c reports hides elevated values when the same assay is being used for diagnostic purposes. Elevated values may be considered ‘satisfactory’ when in fact they are indicating a new diagnosis of diabetes.
The proposed PCET mitigation is to create two report items in PBCL
Glycated haemoglobin (monitoring) and Glycated haemoglobin (diagnostic). This will allow appropriate interpretive comments to be made for both purpose of use of the assay.
Your views on these proposals will be very welcome

Regards

Gifford

Dr Gifford Batstone
MBBS, BSc, FRCPath, MSc
Chair PCET

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk