Dear Elizabeth,

As a general rule the length of the upper carnassial in wolves exceeds the
sum of  the lengths of the two molars, while in dogs the summed molar
lengths exceed or  are equal to the length of the carnassial
(Clutton-Brock,  J. 1963:  The origins of the  dog.  In D. Brothwell and E.
Higgs (eds) Science  In Archaeology, 269-274 .London, Thames and Hudson).
Two papers on possible prehistoric dog/wolf hybrids where this  is not the
case are:

Clark, K.M. 1996.  Neolithic Dogs: A Reappraisal Based on Evidence from the
Remains of a Large  Canid Deposited in a Ritual Feature. International
Journal of Osteoarchaeology 6: 211-219.
Baxter, I.L. 2007. Skeleton of a  large Early-Middle Bronze Age dog with
spondylosis deformans from the  Babraham Road Park and  Ride site, Cambridge.
Archaeofauna 16: 109-116.  (.PDF available for download at
http://www.alexandriaarchive.org/icaz/icazForum/viewtopic.php?t=1039).
All wild canids (and some domestic dogs) exhibit klinorhynchy  (downturning
of the anterior skull relative to the basicranium). This is  discussed in:

Baxter,  I.L. and Nussbaumer, M. 2009.  Evidence of variation in an Iron
Age dog  cranium from Trumpington, Cambridgeshire, UK. Archaeofauna 18: 67-76.
http://www.alexandriaarchive.org/icaz/pdf/05_ARCH_VOL_18.pdf

Nussbaumer,  M., 1982. Über die Variabilität der dorso-basalen
Schädelknickungen bei  Haushunden (On the Variability of Dorso-basal Curvatures in
Skulls of Domestic Dogs). Zool.  Anz., Jena 209  (1/2): 1-32.
Hope  this helps.
Ian  L. Baxter