Dear Zooarchers,

I have a question regarding sexing the tiger pelvis. I identified an
ancient tiger skeleton in western China which has complete pelvis, and now
I want to know its sex. In my lab, there is also a complete tiger skeleton
but we don't know its sex either. Based on the morphology of the tiger
pelvis of our lab, I guess it's a male, because the angle between the two
pubis and ischium bones are very sharp and narrow, also, the lliopubic
eminence is not sharply developed. Based on the picture of the pelvis of
the ancient tiger I took in the field, I guess it's also a male, although I
am not sure whether it also has sharp angle between the pubis because the
two parts of the pelvis fall apart in the site.

Do anyone has some ideas about sexing the tiger pelvis? I have uploaded the
pictures of both the modern and ancient tiger pelvis.

http://zooarchaeology.ning.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?screenName=2p0ati3l4v77d

This is also my first time to upload picture in Zoobook. I am not sure if
it could show successfully.

Thanks very much!
Best wishes, Yiru

--