Hi all,

I have a complete chicken (Gallus gallus) tarso-metatarsus that is significantly shorter than the typical chickens I have seen. It is likely female (no spur), 46.5mm long, 11.9mm wide at the proximal articulation, and 12.3mm wide at the distal end.

The female chickens in the comparative collection are over 70mm in length at this bone.  Could this chicken be of a particular breed?  Does anyone know of any research on the osteological differences of different chicken breeds?  The context is c. 1804-1850s.

While on the topic of chickens.  Does anyone have comparative archaeological research on culling chickens such as male chicks? The same context has about three chickens of various, but very young ages.

Thanks, Adam Heinrich