Elizabeth -- When you have a domestic dog with wolf-like morphology,
differentiation isn't always easy. Here are a few points that I look for
to make that differentiation:

1. Shape of the occiput -- triangular vs. rounded
2. Presence of 'keyholing' of the foramen magnum
3. Shape of the mandibular symphysis in anterior view (see illustration in
Schmidt)
4. Degree of 'bowing' of the mandibular rami
5. Premolar teeth that have failed to develop or erupt
6. Crowding of the teeth, sometimes with imbrication or impaction; or
conversely 'stretching out' of the rami and the toothrow
7. General shape of the skull -- either more elongate/narrow or more
brachycephalic than would be expected in a wolf
8. 'Steppiness' of the forehead
9. Snubbiness, smallness, or pointy shape to the snout
10. A valuable character well explained in some of Ian Baxter's papers:
the degree of 'airorhynchy' (upturning of the anterior skull relative to
the basicranium) vs. 'klinorhynchy' (downturning of same).

Otherwise, differentiating dogs has been done fairly effectively by the
use of multivariate statistical tools, especially 'CVA', sometimes called
discriminant function analysis. See the symposium volumes often cited here
on the dog and the recent threads containing references by Clark,
Sergeantson, Crockford, and others.

As to coyote: you might as well include fox also. Both are smaller and
finer than any wolf and most dogs, but some small breeds of domestic dog
are almost indistinguishable from fox. Remember too that coyotes and dogs
sometimes hybridize, and that hybridization of dog and wolf is probably
endemic (if 'hybridisation' is the right word, when in fact technically
they are members of the same species). It's a fraught issue, and not just
from the morphologist's point of view; the DNA guys can't agree either and
the whole thing is currently a hot issue. Hope this helps -- Deb Bennett