Dear all,

Prior to the main Socrel conference 2nd-4th July, Socrel holds an  'Aspiring Academics' Event for Postgrads and Early Career Scholars on 1st-2nd July at the University of Brighton in Sussex. Please see below for a draft programme. This a great opportunity for the PG and ECS community in Socrel to get to know one another and receive relevant skills-based training. We are delighted to welcome Professor Grace Davie as a speaker at the event.

Professor Davie will run two workshops on Monday afternoon on 'Knowledge Transfer' and will look at ways in which we can deploy the knowledge and skills that we gain in the process of getting a PhD effectively to other contexts, whether they be related to other aspects of academia such as teaching or contexts which we may find ourselves engaging with outside of the academy, such as policy-making.

The 'Work-in Progress' session on Tuesday will offer opportunity for us to present our current research and receive peer feedback. The 'Post-PhD Perspectives' session will comprise a panel Q and A session with members of the Socrel committee and will focus on life after the PhD and career possibilities after the PhD.

We are grateful to the Higher Education Academy for supporting the event. If you are a BSA member or a Socrel member and you are also attending the main conference then you will be able to register for the Aspiring Academics Event for a reduced £10 registration fee (not including accommodation which you will be able to book in addition if required). For those who are not members of the BSA or Socrel then the rate is £40.

If you only wish to attend the Aspiring Academics Event then it is possible to register for this event only. The registration fee is £20 for BSA members and £40 for those who are not members of the BSA (both rates exclude accommodation but there is an option to book for an additional charge).

Registration is available for the Postgraduate/ECS Day and Socrel Conference 2014 here:

http://portal.britsoc.co.uk/public/event/eventBooking.aspx?id=EVT10323

Please note that the Early Bird Registration deadline is on May 30th, after which registration fees will increase.

Information about how to become a member of Socrel and the BSA is available on the Socrel website here:

http://socrel.org.uk/members/

Please do get in touch if you have any questions about the event.

I hope to see you there,

Jo.

Day 1 Tuesday 1st July

1.30 - 2.00           Registration

2.00 - 2.15           Welcome (Dr Rebecca Catto and Jo McKenzie)

2.15 – 3.45          Knowledge Transfer Workshop1 (Professor Grace Davie)

3.45 - 4.15           Afternoon Coffee & Tea

4.15 – 6.00          Knowledge Transfer Workshop 2 (Professor Grace Davie)

7.30 – 8.30          Dinner

Evening               Social

Day 2 Wednesday 2nd  July

8.00 – 9.00          Breakfast

9.00 – 10.45        Work-in-Progress (Jo McKenzie)

10.45 – 11.00      Mentoring

11.00 – 11.30      Coffee

11.30 – 1.00        Post-PhD Perspectives

1.00 - 2.00          Lunch

2.00                     Religion and Crisis Conference

SOCREL-PG is the Postgraduate e-mail list of the BSA Sociology of Religion Study Group. To join SOCREL-PG, send the following one-line message: join socrel-pg YOURFIRSTNAME YOURLASTNAME to: <[log in to unmask]> Send contributions to the list by sending messages to: [log in to unmask] To leave SOCREL-PG, send the following one-line message: leave socrel-pg YOURFIRSTNAME YOURLASTNAME to: <[log in to unmask]>