From: Social History Curators Group email list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jenny Brown
Sent: 23 May 2014 11:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Oral history collections - do you catalogue them as objects, history files or part of library?

This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message. -------------------------------
Hello,

I've been asked to look into current best practice for oral history collections, specifically about how best to catalogue them.  I've looked at the Oral history society and BL pages, but thought I'd try a quick vox-pop:

*         How do you catalogue oral histories? Are they digital objects (if so, what location is on your database?!!)? Are they media attached to objects? Are they part of history files or a library?

*         Or are they an archive best dealt with by archivists?!

*         Do you approach this collaboratively with other local libraries and archives?

*         How do you back up digital recordings and provide access to surrogates?

*         How have you dealt with older recordings without written copyright permissions?

Sorry to ask the stupid questions, but it's really the nitty-gritty documentation/"is this an object" questions that we want to talk about and there's less about this online...

Yours in hope,

Jenny

Jenny Brown
Curator (Science and Industry)
Museums and Galleries
Education, Culture and Sport
Aberdeen Maritime Museum
Shiprow
Aberdeen AB11 5BY
Direct Dial: (01224) 337719 or (01224) 523650 Direct Fax: (01224) 213066

Visit www.aagm.co.uk<http://www.aagm.co.uk/> to search Aberdeen Art Gallery & Museums Collections.

Visit www.aberdeenquest.com<http://www.aberdeenquest.com/> for our young persons' guide to Aberdeen Art Gallery and Museums

www.facebook.com/AAGandM<http://www.facebook.com/AAGandM>
http://twitter.com/AbdnArtMususeums

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail (including any attachment to it) is confidential, protected by copyright and may be privileged. The information contained in it should be used for its intended purposes only. If you receive this email in error, notify the sender by reply email, delete the received email and do not make use of, disclose or copy it. Whilst we take reasonable precautions to ensure that our emails are free from viruses, we cannot be responsible for any viruses transmitted with this email and recommend that you subject any incoming email to your own virus checking procedures. Unless related to Council business, the opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender and they do not necessarily constitute those of Aberdeen City Council. Unless we expressly say otherwise in this email or its attachments, neither this email nor its attachments create, form part of or vary any contractual or unilateral obligation. Aberdeen City Council's incoming and outgoing email is subject to regular monitoring.
The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk<http://www.shcg.org.uk> . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST

DISCLAIMER: This email and any enclosures are intended solely for the use of the named recipient. If this email has a protective marking of PROTECT or RESTRICT in its title or contents, the information within must be subject to appropriate safeguards to protect against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss or destruction or damage. PROTECT and RESTRICTED information should only be further shared where there is a legitimate need.
If you are not the intended recipient, or responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you may not copy, disclose, distribute or use it without the authorisation of Wolverhampton City Council. If you have received this email in error please notify us by email to [log in to unmask] and then delete it and any attachments accompanying it.
Please note that Wolverhampton City Council do not guarantee that this message or attachments are virus free or reach you in their original form and accept no liability arising from this. Any views or opinions expressed within this email are those of the writer and may not necessarily reflect those of Wolverhampton City Council. No contractual commitment is intended to arise from this email or attachments.

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST