Forgive me, please, while I shamelessly plug a forthcoming event here in
Slindon at St Mary's Church. John Godfrey and Sue Hepburn, two
accomplished historians with a special interest in The First War, are
coming to speak at an event organised under the aegis of The 2014
Festival of Chichester. Given the current anniverary of the start of the
First World War, it promises to be relevant and interesting, especially
to those of us who are lucky enough to live in Sussex.  The following
comes from the FoC programme (where there numerous other events also):

*Friday, 4 July, 7.30pm
SUSSEX AND THE GREAT WAR
St Mary's Church, Church Hill, Slindon, BN18 0RB*

kitchener
<http://festivalofchichester.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/kitchener.jpg>

Using contemporary records, diaries, letters and poetry, historians Sue
Hepburn and John Godfrey will discuss the impact of the war on Sussex,
including the recruitment of men into Kitchener's New Army, their
deployment and the extent to which they were motivated by an attachment
to the county of Sussex.

Tickets £10; students £5; children free

Tickets are available via the Festival box office
(www.festivalofchichester.co.uk) or through me (01243 814693) or John
Barrett (01243814265).
/Nancy Brinton/