Hi Lucia,

I have been following the discussion here which has also been posted to LinkedIn. By way of introduction I am the Director, Research & Development for AIIM and I run all of our training programs. By further introduction, I was the lead consultant for the team that updated the course in 2009, before I joined AIIM.

The title was designed to be a play on the old "Oldsmobile" commercials, i.e. "This is not your father's Oldsmobile". It was in no way intended to be ageist or derogatory to experienced records professionals; rather, it was meant as a lighthearted way to introduce our position that electronic records management does require new approaches because of the volumes, variety, and other issues electronic records present.

At the same time, I developed the course using ISO 15489, ISO 26122, ISO 23081, and guidance from a number of RM bodies around the world including the UK, EU, Canada, Australia, and others. As others in the IRMS thread noted, records management principles are in many ways timeless: retention is retention, classification is classification. I am a certified records manager and understand the importance of and continuing relevance of those principles.

Yet the application of them has had to evolve and continues to do so because we can't manually classify the volumes of email for example that an organization receives on a daily basis. Social media is not under our physical or in many ways logical control. And so forth. As Eldin Rammell noted in the thread, it's about
·         the challenges of managing instant messages
·         the challenges of classifying web pages as records
·         issues arising from use of social media (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter)
·         the impact of PDF/A, including PDF/A-3
·         the impact of cloud computing, including cloud services for electronic archiving
·         latest developments in digital preservation techniques

And so forth. These are the things we tried to add to the course in 2009 to ensure that students who took it could address the then issues of the day as well as the fundamentals of effective records management.

As others noted the course is now a bit dated technology-wise, but again the foundational content is still highly relevant and can be extrapolated to newer challenges. I have posted a substantially similar response to the LinkedIn post.

--
Regards,

Jesse Wilkins, CIP, CRM, IGP
Director, Research & Development
AIIM
[log in to unmask] work
[log in to unmask] permanent
To view the list archives go to: https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the words UNSUBSCRIBE RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK For any technical queries re JISC please email [log in to unmask] For any content based queries, please email [log in to unmask]