I am surprised that “trying to get paid by any USian corporate entity for freelance work without arranging for the pertinent amount of tax to be collected (or exempted, depending on circumstances) at source is pretty much impossible”.

Over the years I have worked for a raft of different organisations in the USA, ranging from commercial publishers to the publishing arms of “learned societies”. The issue of withholding tax has never reared its head.

To me this says that it depends on the work you are doing and who you work for. I am just churning out words. I don’t do stand-up comedy.

Demands for “taxation at source” used to be a regular theme on the ABSW list. It has never happened to me, despite numerous contracts over the years, but universities are the usual source of these complaints. This is because they don't have clue – now there’s a surprise – and have this funny idea that everyone is on PAYE. Mostly, they go away when you tell them to get stuffed and provide a bit of evidence.

So, back to my earlier advice, talk to a consultant, or just tell them to send you the money.

I would go with Francis’s first advice, but that also works on the basis that this is journalism. Not sure that the NUJ can do much for people who are, say, running workshops on how to explain science with plasticine, to pluck a possibly plausible example out of the sky.

But Francis is spot on in the follow up: “challenge clients who insist on deducting tax at source, explaining to said clients that you are fully aware of the regulations”.

MK