Dear Mauricio,

Your reply to Luke suggests a brief note. You wrote, ”°This also explains why is so hard to work in the dissertation, and why design schools have difficulties recruiting supervisors because the majority do not have years of experience practicing research.”±

This is true, and there is more to the issue. Good doctoral supervision and successful doctoral study depends on effective research cultures. Our field suffers from the fact that design schools do manage to recruit supervisors, but many who supervise the PhD lack appropriate experience.

Luke posted a link to an excellent article on the PhD and doctoral supervision by David Durling

Durling, David. 2002. ”°Discourses on Research and the PhD in Design.”± Quality Assurance in Education, Vol. 10, No. 2, 79-85. Date accessed 26 May 2014.

http://durling.org/papers_files/Discourse%20PhD%20QAE.pdf

I discuss these issues in the longer version a forthcoming book chapter.

Friedman, Ken. 2014. Writing for the PhD in Art and Design. Issues for Research Supervisors and Research Students. A Research Writing Workshop Working Paper. Melbourne, Australia: National Institute for Design Research, Swinburne University of Technology.

This chapter is particularly useful in comparing and contrasting the different systems of doctoral education and doctoral training in Europe and the UK, Australia, and North America.

You can download a copy from my Academia page in the section on PhD Skills, Training, and Supervision.

https://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman

Best regards,

Ken

Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | Editor-in-Chief | Éč¼Ę Sheji. The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation | Published by Elsevier in Cooperation with Tongji University | Launching in 2015

University Distinguished Professor | Swinburne University of Technology ||| Guest Professor | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China ||| Adjunct Professor | School of Creative Arts | James Cook University | Townsville, Australia

Email [log in to unmask] | Academia http://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman | D&I http://tjdi.tongji.edu.cn