Hi all
We all know that hypertension has the potential to lead to CVA or MI but I am inclined to agree with the GP who could not declare the guy unfit to work.  The following is my reasoning:

1. Who is to say how long he has been trotting around with hypertension?
2. If he had a CVA/MI on the job there are warning symptoms.
3. So long as the detected hypertension is being medically deal with he is fit to remain in work...but I would certainly advise that he is restricted from safety critical tasks until BP is stabilised.

He should be thanking you for potentially saving him from death or disability, not kicking off about suspension.

Deb

Sent from Samsung Mobile

I think communication is crucial; HR and H+S need to be made aware of potential outcome in advance; a standard letter to be taken to GP may also invite a more positive reaction.
Lessons to be learned as always!
Thanks v much,
Libby