Dear Jukka, Samu, and colleagues at Elekta and elsewhere,

I found a bug in  MaxFilter that produces replacement of data chunks with
copies of a preceding data chunk in sequence repetitively.

In other words, a chunk of data is repeated several times thereby replacing
some of the data that should follow the data chunk that is repeated.

I attach a screenshot showing an example data set (with the problem, above;
and fixed, below).

The trigger channel and other channels are not repeated, just the MEG
channels are repeated. Needless to say, this will result in problems for
subsequent ERF analysis.

The bug is produced when the hpie and hpig parameters are active because
the error and/or goodness-of-fit limits are passed.

This bug happens whether you are just doing head estimation (estimating the
quaternion parameters) or actually doing movement compensation.

If I set the hpie parameter to a large number and the hpig parameter to
zero, the data replacement bug does not happen anymore.

The size of the data chunks seems corresponds to the tSSS time window size
specified with -st (i.e., if st is 4 then the chunk of data that is
repeated is 4 sec long).

The MaxFilter version I was using when I found this was 2.2.15, but I
checked with version 2.2.10 and the same (or similar) bug is present
related again to hpie and hpig (producing the same exact data replacement
with repetitive chunks).

Again the solution is to set hpie to a large number (e.g., 1000000) and
hpig to 0.

Please make a note, and let others know as this could have been affecting
the data sets of many users world-wide who have been performing head
estimation or head movement compensation.

Best regards,

Rey

--
Rey R. Ramírez, Ph.D.