Dear All,

If any of you are based in Southern California, or around at the
beginning of June, the following conference might be of interest. Please
do forward this announcement to anyone else you can think of.

I'm writing to let you know that a Materialities, Texts and Images
Workshop that will be taking place at CalTech (in the Treasure Room,
Dabney Hall) on June 2nd. The workshop will run all day, and full
details of the timetable will be circulated soon. Space will be very
limited for this event, so if you would like to attend, please RSVP
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> at your
earliest convenience.

The workshop, titled 'Knowledge and the Cultivation of Tastes in the
Eighteenth Century', will interrogate the interplay between the
cultivation of
tastes and the making of knowledge in a period when according to many -
the key modern disciplines, practices and institutions for forging
both came into being. The participants come from a range of disciplines
and will consider questions about taste and knowledge from a range of
disciplinary perspectives and with a similarly wide range of material,
textual and visual resources. There will be five invited speakers from
the U.S. and across the world, along with a roundtable panel of leading
scholars from Southern California.

All the workshop details may be found at this web address:
http://knowledgeandtaste.wordpress.com/

I am pleased to be able to announce the program details for the workshop:

9.00-9.30: Coffee and Pastries

9.30-10.00: Welcome and Introduction
Alexander Wragge-Morley (MTI Fellow, Caltech and The Huntington Library)

10.00-11.00: Dialogues on Taste: men, women and the matter of luxury
Elizabeth Eger (Department of English, King's College London)

11.00-12.00: The Sun Pictures: Making and Disfiguring Enlightenment
'Photography'
Matthew Hunter (Department of Art History & Communication Studies,
McGill University)

12.00-1.00: Lunch in Dabney Garden

1.00-2.00: An Impossible Category: The Picturesque in Eighteenth-century
British Aesthetics
Timothy Costelloe (Department of Philosophy, William and Mary College)

2.00-3.00: The Third Age of Description
Joanna Stalnaker (Department of French and Romance Philology, Columbia
University)

3.00-3.15: Coffee Break

3.15-4.15: Materializing Taste through the Rococo Cartouche
Michael Yonan (University of Missouri, Columbia, and Swedish Collegium
for Advanced Study)

4.15-5.00: Roundtable Discusion (Participants to be Confirmed)

Details of the workshop's scholarly aims can be found here
http://knowledgeandtaste.wordpress.com/
As I said, space will be limited, so lease RSVP to let me know of your
planned attendance.

All good wishes,

Alex Wragge-Morley