Dear all

Some time ago I posed the following question to the list

“As part of our “journey” to foundation trust status, the Trust has been recruiting members.  We currently have about 7000.  We have been asked by some of the members whether they can use our library service.

Does anyone have any experience of members using their library service?  Have you stipulated that this is just for work related to their trust membership?  Have you been under- or over-whelmed with requests?”

Thanks for the responses, which gave a full range from “yes do it” to “absolutely don’t do it”, and apologies for the delay in the update.

The agreement that we came to here was that members could use the library, but that it could only be in conjunction with the work that they are doing with the Trust (e.g. some of the members are involved in recruiting staff).  This hasn’t been widely advertised, but we have a response ready should anybody ask.

The query arose when a Trust member asked specifically about the library – they were given the contact details and how to access us, but they never followed up on this.

We now have over 10,000 members and we’ve not been approached since about using the library.

We do however often come into contact with Trust members, at conferences, innovation forums etc etc.  We’re now a little better prepared, and are able to tell them about how our work supports staff treating patients, rather than trying to tell them about our service per se.  The trick is to make sure we know who are NHS staff, and who are members!

Also, the Books on Prescription and Mood Boosting books have been really popular with members – so we always have a pile of leaflets about these, and recommend contacting local public libraries.

Thanks

Helen

Helen Swales
Library Services Manager