ScotlandPeople’s latest Newsletter contained an item about George Swanston, that I thought I’d forward to Lis-Maps for interest (see below).  Have deleted other news items & images.  Showed this to Francis (Herbert) who said:

Both Swanston and his Ordnance Survey engraver son, Andrew Heriot Swanston “(1837?-1894)”, appear in the profusely-illustrated, over 750-page, British map engravers : a dictionary of engravers, lithographers and their principal employers to 1850, by Laurence Worms and Ashley Baynton-Williams (London : Rare Book Society, 2011), ISBN 978-0-9569422-0-3? Curiously, too, this 2011 reference work indicates that Swanston sr ‘disappears’ around 1860 and his Edinburgh addresses cease – from the eight sources cited therein – in 1856 (1 Thistle Street).

Wendy

Wendy Cawthorne

Assistant Librarian

Email:    [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Tel:         +44 (0)20 7432 0999; +44 (0)20 7432 0997 (Direct)

Fax:        +44 (0)20 7439 3470

Web:     www.geolsoc.org.uk

The Geological Society

Burlington House