Dear John and All,
This discussion traverses that tricky hinterland of managerialist drivers and our own emancipatory hopes for our students.

When working with the Education Studies Team to help re-write and re-validate new year long versions of their mdoules we were invited to populate and then run the de facto 'skills' module that already had the Aims and Learning Outcomes sketched in, viz:

This module aims to:

Not earth shattering perhaps - but not so awful that you could not live with - and definitely one that we developed into a creative and emancipatory praxis.

However - first we would have to transcend the learning outcomes that had already been written, viz:

On successful completion of this module students will be able to:

  • Use library and on-line services to conduct a review of literature
  • Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the characteristics of academic writing and reading
  • Recognise plagiarism and understand why it is an offence; employ a systematic mode of referencing and show competence in referring to the work of previous writers in precise and appropriate ways
  • Show awareness of a range of research methods and be able to critical reflect on experiences of conducting a small scale research activity.
I would never flag up Plagiarism in this way in LOs that I generated myself - though these are exactly the LOs that SMT want to see (hence all the re-newed emphasis on Academic Integrity)... I would stress the importance of successful academic practices - including keeping of good notes and references - but hey - it is what it is...

The assessments for me offer some ways to measure the learning - and there are:

1.      Three reflections on specific learning incidents;

2.      An over-arching reflective essay on their academic development over their first year of study as an undergraduate student;

3.      The design proposal for their research project;

4.      A summative research report.

****

Where the research project focus in upon student study practices ****

We love the way we have shaped the research project such that students are investigating study practices. This year one of our students has discovered that our University students enjoy group work where they can become really engaged in a project - where they can become lost in the flow of the task - brilliant!!

Others have been using Image Mediated Dialogue and collages to investigate student feelings about particular academic tasks... All interesting stuff...

BUT - because we managed to transcend the Aims and LOs - not BECAUSE of them?

All the best,

Sandra