Hi Kate,

We follow the Kirkpatrick model of evaluation to gauge reaction and then longer term impact – or at least we try to. So we ask students to complete happy sheets at the end of activities (reaction) and have started following up weeks after (say, about 6) to gauge perceptions of impact on their studies. I have employed focus groups in the past too more broadly and these can be informative but as mentioned already, survey response rates and student attendance can be difficult – even when you offer food!

Regards

Paul

From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sandra Sinfield
Sent: 21 May 2014 10:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Feedback

Hi Kate,

I used to do a What did you like/what recommendations would you make session with students at the end of a course. I avoided a: What worked/What did not work/ What recommendations format - because the structure seems to demand that students find as many problems with a course as strong points!

This year we wanted to do a more creative and collaborative evaluation of the course and had planned a session where individually or in groups students could reflect on their experiences on the course and use the reflection to produce a slam presentation - or a collage - or a poem ... to present to the rest of the class... SADLY there was a transport strike that day and although we supported the cause of the strike (keep those ticket offices open!!) our students did not make it in for this creative and collaborative reflection.

I would be interested to see what methods people do use for feedback/evaluation.

Best,

Sandra