Dear all

I thought you may be interested to see the policy here at Leeds, available on the web here: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/qat/documents/policy/Proof-Reading.pdf

Interestingly, this bans outright all proofreading by third-parties (friends, other students, family or professional proof-readers). The situation is slightly different for research students. In our proofreading workshops (and individual consultations) we used to suggest that people use a friend, preferably in a different discipline, to check, but no longer.

We do have a page about ‘drafting and fine tuning’ and the .pdf on Revising, Editing and Proofreading on this page is a regular supplement to our workshops (recently altered to remove the recommendation to ask for help…). http://library.leeds.ac.uk/skills-writing#activate-drafting_and_fine_tuning

From the other side: as I am now part time (working on a PhD), I recently considered supplementing my income by offering proofreading services (not to Leeds students!!), so signed up at http://www.freelancer.com/, citing ‘academic writing’ (meaning ‘support for…’) and ‘proofreading’ as skills. I’ve since unsubscribed from the service, but for a while it gave me tremendous insight into what is out there for our students to access. I had message after message detailing bids for work writing assignments from scratch. Many were from the US, but a significant number were from students in the UK wanting assignments done. The usual fees were very low, I suspect because those who are bidding are the highly educated English speakers in majority world countries.

The ban has the beauty of simplicity, but hides the murky reality or the ‘elephant in the room’ as Gordon puts it. Students from privileged backgrounds will still use family (= those paying the fees, I add cynically), and those with the money can afford to pay external services. Turnitin will pick up neither.

More problems than solutions, I’m afraid. I do like Lancashire’s approach, it seems so much more pro-active and positive.

Best wishes

Best wishes

Anna

PLEASE NOTE: I work one day a week for Skills@Library, my usual working day is Monday. If you have any urgent enquires, please contact Skills@Library: http://library.leeds.ac.uk/skills-contact