Thanks Chris and Anna for your replies – very helpful.  Can I just clarify, does everyone, as a matter course, deposit such photographic records with local record offices/other accredited archive repositories?  So far we have been collecting with HER deposition/dissemination in mind but it certainly is a useful point and one we should definitely consider more seriously.

Nina

From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Webster
Sent: 08 May 2014 16:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Photographic Recording

I’m sure it would be worth asking the ADS for advice, but Photobooks don’t sound like a good archival format to me. They are likely to be proprietary for one thing and be continually “improved”. We’d also not be keen on digital material unless a properly accredited digital archive can store the data.

Chris Webster

Somerset Historic Environment Record

Somerset Heritage Centre

Brunel Way