Dear David,
For comparisons between GDR and the FRG at about the time you mention the Bericht zur Lage der Nation, first published in 1971 by the Brandt government and thereafter, I think, annually would be useful. Chapter V in the 1971 edition is Einkommen Verbrauch, Lebenshaltung. I have a copy here in France but that is not very helpful. I imagine it will be in a number of libraries. As for £ DM rates, my memory is that after the 1967 devaluation it fell to something like 9-70. The pound lost ground again in 69 (DM floated just before the 69 election)and was under 9 in 1970. By the end of 1976, another bad year, it was under 5, maybe around 4-50 DM.
Hope that helps a tiny bit,
Stuart

From: David Barnett
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:22 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Historical currency conversion

Dear German List,

Does anyone know where I can find tables or charts that allow the reader to find the value of a Mark (in the FRG *and* the GDR) in, say, 1973 and convert it into Euros today? Or to find out what a Mark in 1973 was worth in pounds at that time and provide a converter that tells the reader what its value would be in sterling today? Online resources would be more welcome, but hard copy would also be fine.

All the best,

David

--
Dr David Barnett

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/profiles/198222
http://sussex.academia.edu/DavidBarnett

Reader in Drama, Theatre and Performance,
Arts B,
University of Sussex,
Brighton BN1 9QN.
(01273) 678878