An interesting question is whether the crack propagation in Nick’s windscreen would have been different if he had stopped the car…….  Great example…

Maarten Krabbendam

From: Riccardo Caputo [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 21 May 2014 15:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Dilemma of cross-cutting relationship from outcrop-scale fractures‏

Hi Ijaz, I fully agree with the conclusion of Nick Oliver ("don't trust the simple geometry without looking very closely at the junction") and I would add to consider also the dynamic effects. However, I disagree with the interpretation of why the fracturing in the windscreen 'jumped' higher. Indeed, the halt of the first left-to-right crack was probably due to the fact that the two sides across the vertical fracture were sufficiently mechanically decoupled (i.e. without cohesion) for impeding the propagation of the tip stress on the right side of the windscreen. In contrast, the formation of the new horizontal fracture parallel to, but not aligned with,  the first one was likely caused by a new stress concentration accumulated in the meantime (30-60 minutes). The stress accumulation could be due, for example, to the progressive cooling or to a viscoelastic transfer along the 'plastic' films of the multilayer windscreen; while the concentration and the fracture initiation could have been caused by a microscopic defeat in the glass, a different curvature of the windscreen, a local temperature gradient or even a minimal geometrical irregularity in the 'older' vertical fracture. In other terms, I would have expected that the left-to-right fracture would have propagated perfectly in-plane across the vertical one only if the latter (at the time of the crossing) was sealed to assure the mechanical continuity of the material.

Relative to stress variability in space and time, please consider the following papers (I apologize in advance for the self-citation):

Caputo (2005): Stress variability and brittle tectonic structures. Earth-Science Reviews, 70, 1-2, 103-127, doi: 10.1016/j.earscirev.2004.11.005

Caputo (2010): Why are extension joints more abundant than faults? a conceptual model to estimate their ratio in layered carbonate rocks. J. Struct. Geol., 32 (9), 1257-1270, doi: 10.1016/j.jsg.2009.05.011

regards

Riccardo Caputo