Dear Bedda,

Thank you for your help and suggestions.  Skull stripping was done in MIPAV and they were checked for quality.

I know that it is recommended to use non skull-stripped for the fnirt step.

I was going to use non skull-stripped T1 images, but the problem is that the skull-stripped and non skull-stripped images are in two different spaces and I need to apply a mask that it is in the same space as the T1 skull-stripped images.

if what you want is a good registration to standard space and you have “good” skull stripped data, then that should be fine. I would even say that if one has “perfect” skull stripped data that would be the best to use for non-linear registration. Our recommendation of using the non-skull-stripped images is a concern that often skull stripping isn’t 100% perfect.

So, if you trust your skull stripping, just go for it.

Jesper

Should I do the following

flirt t1 skull-sripped to MNI
fnirt t1 non skull-stripped to MNI