Hi Sean,

Neither of these will test the interaction I'm afraid. You'd have to set up
a model with a 3rd column that is the product of EV1 and EV2. Also, add an
intercept (EV4). The contrasts to test the intercept would then be [0 0 1
0]' and [0 0 -1 0]'.

Mean-centering EV1 and EV2 before computing EV3 is in general a good idea.
Although it won't affect the results for the interaction, it will affect
the coefficients for the main effects, even with the intercept modelled,
and in general it makes these more easily interpretable.

All the best,

Anderson