Although I admittedly do not have access to the full journal article, the complaint in the Journal Watch response seems to relate more to the individual study (which has some fundamental issues) rather than RCTs as a whole.  Keep in mind the original study for DIGAMI 1 was published in 1995, while the original CONSORT statement wasn’t released until 1996 so the initial researchers did not have access to the same reporting standards we have today which could have a serious effect on experimental design.

From looking at the abstract of the article, the chief issue seems to be that the control group is vaguely defined as “conventional glucose-lower treatment” which is so ill-defined that it could represent a number of different interventions.  It appears from the complaint that there was a lack of standardization within and perhaps substandard monitoring of the control group which suggests the study evaluates the effectiveness of intensive insulin care versus a number of other potential treatment options (some of which may be more or less effective than the others).  This is a valid complaint, but it doesn’t relate to the applicability of RCTs in general, just less methodologically robust evaluations.

I’m admittedly still a little confused about the final comment “This suggests the contrast [between groups] is not because insulin was better, but that 'control' was worse.”  My interpretation is that the author is complaining about the lack of control exercised over the non-treatment group which led to a less than perfect comparison, but I may be way off base here.

In the end, I believe the lesson from this study and the reception is that time does not heal all wounds, and a potential lack of methodological rigor in the initial study should be included in your interpretation of the results of the 20 year follow-up.