-many doctors believe that they can use cardiovascular "risk tables" as "decision tables"
-un saludo
-juan gérvas

El 30/05/2014 20:05, Djulbegovic, Benjamin escribió:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

All correct, Juan

But, this does not mean that physicians do better. Or, to re-formulate the question, which essentially was the reason for the birth of EBM: how do physicians know?

It seems that have by now learned about the value of research evidence (strengths and limitations of explicit knowledge) and we are going back to full circle (and probably justifiably so): what is the role of experience, that tacit knowledge that physicians acquire during their career?

Best

ben

From: Juan Gérvas [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2014 1:44 PM
To: Djulbegovic, Benjamin; [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Statins adverse effects, level of evidence

-the critical question is to "believe" in "risk tables" as "decision tables" and use it in personal care without having "impact analysis"
-the general idea of transforming a cardiovascular "risk table" (prediction rules) in a cardiovascular "decision table" (clinical decision) is very risky, as we have no "impact analysis" in most cases; see attached paper (Ann Intern Med, 2006)
-in fact, we have many studies about the validity (specificity and sensibility) of the "prediction" and the results are very poor
-the "prediction" is right (according to risk tables) but in practice, after 10 year you can notice that the "prediction" does not work, does not fit with the patient's medical history.
-this is because the "risk" is not for "your patient in front of you" but about someone of the "patient' population" who "math" with someone in the "refering population" (Framingahm in most cases)
-that is, we are transforming a "population risk" in a clinical one having no enough knowledge to do it.
-the prediction value of the risk calculators is similar to a crystal ball prediction (the only "use" is to increase the apparent scientific base of an a-scientific decision)
-un saludo
NOTE 1. A crystal ball is a crystal or glass ball believed by some people to aid in the performance of clairvoyance
NOTE 2. Ignoring social factors in clinical decision rules: a contribution to health inequalities. The debate surrounding the concept of cardiovascular risk estimates for decision making when treating arterial hypertension may be a good illustration. According to this concept, the decision to treat hypertension would not be based on blood pressure (BP) threshold, but on the patient's estimated absolute cardiovascular risk, assessed by age, sex, BP level, tobacco consumption, cholesterol level, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, glucose intolerance and left ventricular hypertrophy.3 The variables and equations used in the models are those available in international cardiovascular cohorts or databases and thus ignore the psychosocial context of the patients, although adverse psychosocial conditions were associated with a mean 2.7 increased risk of myocardial infarction and contributed to 35% of the population attributable risk in the recently published InterHeart Study, in line with previous reports
http://eurpub.oxfordjournals.org/content/15/5/441.long