From: Piersante Sestini [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 1:04 PM
To: Ansari, Mohammed; [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Evaluating the quality of a PICO question

On 07/05/2014 14:42, Ansari, Mohammed wrote:

I find the cystitis vignette very interesting. For the question “whether an urine stick for nitrite/leukocyte esterase could be useful to guide antibiotic therapy” my attempt at PICOs is below. In my opinion the question posed above is about effectiveness of point-of-care testing. I’d be interested in learning how further refinements change my provisional (non-expert) PICOs.

Population: Non-pregnant, sexually active, adult women (several population subgroups could be potential effect modifiers) with symptoms of cystitis (but not pyelonephritis) in primary care settings

Intervention: management guided by results of urine stick for nitrite/leukocyte esterase (should be different for test positives, negatives, and those categorized as inconclusive)

Comparator 1: No testing, but early empiric antibiotic treatment of all

Comparator 2: No testing, and no initial empiric antibiotic treatment (delayed treatment if indicated)

Comparator 3: No testing but early empiric antibiotic treatment at physician’s discretion

Outcomes: time to symptom resolution (with an additional comparison between test positives and comparators 2 & 3) ; incidence of complicated cystitis/pyelopnephritis (with an additional comparison between test negatives and untested patients); and major adverse events (with an additional comparison between test negatives and untested patients)

Study designs: RCTs or comparative observational studies.

The last time I did a search on this topic, I found studies on the effectiveness of antibiotics in dipstick-negative women, but not in dipstick positive ones (they were prescribed antibiotics as the probability of a bacterial infection was considered high).
Thus, "best available evidence" depends on what information is there, more than the throughoutfulness (not sure that this word actually exists) of the question: the point is how to find it.
I usually prefer a bottom-up question: starting with a very generic question (cystitis AND dipstick AND antibiotics), then refine it if the yield is high.   Of course you can also use a top-down strategy, starting with a more demanding question and reducing your requirements as you don't find what you want.
It also depend from expertise, that is your personal knowledge of the field (which in this case, for me, is admittedly low), that is, before a PICO question can be assembled, one or more background questions should be often asked, particularly by the non-expert.

cheers,
piersante sestini