Hello Mark,
Accept my apologies that I have not read the actual paper, but I think this might help. My understanding of the situation is this:
1 NNTs and NNHs are derived from the event rates.
2 Event rates are estimates taken from observations in a sample, so confidence intervals should be calculated from them.
3 If the difference in event rates between two groups (in this case steroid injection and control) is statistically non-significant, then any other estimates derived from them will be non-significant.
4 Therefore, if the difference in event rates is non-significant, there is no point in calculating the CI for NNH or any other derivative, you know that the result will be non-significant.
It is not so much a question of SHOULD, more a question of WHY BOTHER?

If you want to play around with numbers (forgive me if I make too much of an assumption), you could do this:
1 To get the lower confidence limit of the NNH, take upper limit of the Risk Difference or Absolute Risk Increase and invert it
2 To get the the upper confidence limit of NNH. take the lower limit of the Risk Difference or Absolute Risk Increase and invert it
3 The interval between the two will include zero.
If not, help!

Kev Hopayian