-absolute risk probably change every day in most patients and this is one reason why patients need good clinicians
-un saludo
-juan gérvas

El 14/05/2014 22:30, Ansari, Mohammed escribió:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

While I agree with Dr. Sigurdsson’s findings, I just want to comment on one point he makes – and yes I am not a statistician, so acknowledge in advance the potential for being wrong. Dr. Sigurdsson states “I guess anybody with some statistical knowledge will see that the Number Needed to Treat (NNT) for one year should be a higher number than the NNT for 3.5 years”. Most of the time this may be correct, but I question if it can be a rule of thumb.

NNTs are derived from absolute risk difference (ARDs). ARD is a function of control event rate and relative risk. If the control event rate varies substantially by time, then so also would NNTs. And if sicker patients are liklier to experience adverse events earlier, then NNTs would be lower at the start than later in follow-up. To add to the complexity, even relative risk may not be constant if the composition of the population changes dramatically overtime because sicker patients are dying earlier and less susceptible ones are surviving.

However, the way NNTs were actually calculated in the JACC paper, Dr. Sigurdusson is right even when his principle may not be.

From: Evidence based health (EBH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Juan Gérvas
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]

-interesting practical problem with statistics

Statins, Statistics and Statinistics. An error not corrected. Primary prevention in elderly. http://www.docsopinion.com/2014/05/12/statins-statistics-and-statinistics/ …
-from Dr. Sigurdsson a cardiologist at the Department of Cardiology at The Landspitali University Hospital in Reykjavik Iceland

Confidentiality Statement - The contents of this e-mail, including its attachment, are intended for the exclusive use of the recipient and may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from reading, using, disclosing, copying, or distributing this e-mail or any of its contents.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail immediately or the Privacy Office ([log in to unmask]) and permanently delete this e-mail and its attachments, along with any copies thereof.  Thank you.

Avis de confidentialit� � Ce courriel, y compris ses pi�ces jointes, s�adresse au destinataire uniquement et pourrait contenir des renseignements confidentiels. Si vous n��tes pas le bon destinataire, il est strictement interdit de lire, d�utiliser, de divulguer, de copier ou de diffuser ce courriel ou son contenu, en partie ou en entier. Si vous avez re�u ce courriel par erreur, veuillez en informer imm�diatement l�exp�diteur ou le bureau de la Protection des renseignements personnels ([log in to unmask]), puis effacez le courriel ainsi que les pi�ces jointes et toute autre copie. Merci.

Este mensaje no contiene virus ni malware porque la protección de avast! Antivirus está activa.