I am all for reflexivity and have written about this. However, having edited a number of special issues, I feel the first communication should be directly with the editors and not be public since the world is small and likely many unnecessary and indeed, sometimes unkind judgments are made in public that create (more) problems than the original situation incurred.

Of course one can always go entirely public at the risk of shaming the editors into a particular stance but I think educating people can be done without the ENTIRE world looking on and “facebooking it” as it were.

I am now signing off from this discussion since I think it belongs between Claudia and her editors.

Leslie

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carol Hamilton
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:45 PM
To: Roman, Leslie
Cc: disability-research
Subject: Re: Contentious issue with a publication

Hi Leslie  Usually I would completely agree that reviews are best resolved with the editors concerned. However I'm glad (if that's the right word to use given the topic) that Claudia posted what she did in this particular case. It has helped me to reflect more fully on what I am doing as a researcher who is, at times, asked to consider manuscripts about learning disabled people's socio-sexual lives. No bad thing. The lives of people with intellectual disabilities continue to be subjected to the effects of discourses of protectionism. Stories remain unheard. Reflexivity for those working (and reviewing) in this area is absolutely vital. Cheers Carol