Dear Ian - and anyone else wondering about making up the shortfall

Sorry to be slow picking up on this thread but most students needing this level of adapted accommodation are likely to be in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP). This means they would probably be able to apply for Housing Benefit towards their accommodation costs.

There are some other things that might need sorting to maximise their benefits income e.g. the student would need to be directed to apply for the Special Support Grant instead of the usual Maintenance Grant.

I realise this can sound daunting to those without experience in student finance or benefits but the Disability Rights UK student helpline can talk it through step-by-step with students, their parents, carers, key advisers etc.

www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline

Of course we also recommend the wonderful Snowdon Trust where there is still a shortfall, but they will usually want to know if the benefits option has been fully explored and they inevitably have to make choices with their limited funds.