02476 697308
07967 734004

The information transmitted in this email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of, any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Any opinions or advice contained in this email are not necessarily those of the sender. Although this email and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus, or any other defect which might affect any computer or IT system into which they are received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free and no responsibility is accepted by the sender for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use thereof. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

On 15 May 2014 16:23, "Ian F." <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Sorry I meant to add, both students who bought their laptops already did so because they were struggling to keep up with the workload due to having chronic medical conditions that severely limits the amount of time they are able to spend working on campus outside time-tabled taught sessions. I'm not sure how even the most inclusive of university campuses could resolve that problem.

Ian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Changes to DSA query
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 16:11:30 +0100
From: Ian F. <[log in to unmask]>
To: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. <[log in to unmask]>

I guess as I spend my life asking people if they own a computer I could
look through all my reports and compile some stats to see if my gut
feeling is actually supported (groan). It would be useful to have some
real figures to work with.

I have notes from five students seen this week in front of me, two
currently use a shared family-owned desktop (both quite old machines),
one won some funding to buy a laptop last september, one just bought a
laptop from her own funds (from a Littlewoods catalogue, paying it off
monthly) one doesn't own a computer.  In effect, three out of five don't
have their own computer. Not very scientific I know.

My point though was his comment about 'young people...' [last I checked
DSA was open to students of all ages and backgrounds not just young ones
(with parents who can buy them a laptop...??)] AND the assumption that
students have to own a computer to go to university - if this is the
case it needs to be stated in course admissions documents etc and will
have an implication for general HE IT funding in future.

His comments about band 1 and 2 support used the example of library
support - he said it'll be library staff who have to help a blind
student find the books they need. Assuming all students should be able
to browse through the tables of contents and indexes of books to find
information they might need for research (rather than just look up the
titles online beforehand) that should be an interesting addition to the
duties of a librarian.

I found the following document on the EHRC site that provides quite
detailed guidance on the EA for FE/HE

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/uploaded_files/EqualityAct/technical_guidance_on_further_and_higher_education.pdf

Ian