Hi all,

From a lab's perspective - as part of a validation study - losses on
drying and/or grinding must be investigated. This can be done in a
variety of ways and does include spiking a soil with a known
concentration of a volatile standard (both deuterated and/or normal
PAHs). Some labs may also spike all samples prior to prep (especially if
using chemical rather than physical drying).  In order to gain MCERTS
accreditation for any analysis performed on a dry soil (however it is
dried), the data for loss on drying/grinding must be presented to UKAS
and be robust, defendable, and within MCERTS criteria.

Obviously how each lab does this and the analysis
(prep/solvents/instrumentation etc) may be unique to themselves.

Claire

Claire Stone
PhD, BSc(Hons), AUS, MRSC
Quality Manager

i2 Analytical Ltd
7 Woodshots Meadow  |  Croxley Green Business Park  |  Watford  |  Herts
|  WD18 8YS  |  UK
  +44 (0)1923 225 404  |  F +44 (0)1923 237 404  |  E

www.i2analytical.com <http://www.i2analytical.com/>
uk.linkedin.com/pub/claire-stone/14/675/b61
<http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/claire-stone/14/675/b61>