That was kind of my point

In my opinion SGV/GAC's are/were taken to be broadly inline with ALARP taking bioaccessabilitly, natural background etc into account.

The main issue is could a regulator stand infront of a planning inspector and successfully argue that the remedial targets should be broadly inline with sgv/gac values i.e. ALARP not C4SL values when the only policy is para121 of the NPPF which merely says as a minimum not PART IIA.

I’m Pretty sure everyone agrees that the C4SL's are defiantly not part IIa and there is in theory a pretty wide gap between them and the CAT 3/2 boundary so they more than meet the "as a minimum" test on the day you are putting a case to a planning inspector.

I’m fairly sure that a planning inspector would side with the developer on that argument

You couldn’t even condition the use of SGV/GAC values over c4sl values as (with a developers hat on) I would argue it does not meet the reasonable test from Circular 11/95 and is therefore "ultra vires on the grounds of unreasonableness"

I cant see any general ground on which a regulator could refuse the use of C4SL values (obviously that doesn’t take site specific concerns into account) but as nick merriman pointed out that’s doesn’t mean in 10 years the values wont be revised to half what they are now (look at Lead) and then we may have to look at a site under Part IIa

Thanks

Gareth Rees Mgeol (HONS) FGS

Contaminated Land Officer

E mail:                        [log in to unmask]

Mobile:                       07976 431 236

Contact Centre:         01858 82 82 82

Fax:                             01858 82 10 00

DX                              DX 27317 Market Harborough

Please Note I only work for Harborough District Council on Thursdays Fridays and alternate Wednesdays