Matt,

In addition to the suggestions of the others, have you done a simple self rotation function?  It can tell you quite a bit about how things are packed and give you strict criteria for choosing one solution over another.  As Roger said, choosing an even number of monomers in the ASU is a good strategy, particularly if the self rotation function shows NCS 2-folds.

Also, a calculated Matthews coefficient is NEVER correct, it is a mere guideline; it only has validity for any particularly crystal form AFTER the fact.  Let the number of monomers in the ASU vary from 6-10; I have had MR cases that have had as little as 40% solvent to 70% solvent, where the calculated Matthews coefficient was quite "wrong" (i.e., the most common value observed in OTHER crystals).   Two things to watch out for are:

(1) An odd number of monomers in the ASU.  I have had 1 1/2 dimers in an ASU (the 1/2 dimer is paired with another in a neighboring ASU).  It is sometimes confusing to people and occasionally difficult to solve with some MR programs due to clashes.

(2) Translation symmetry, which still can confuse some programs (but they are are getting better at detecting it).

Finally, as Herman pointed out, look at the packing of any solution you are considering.  It is surprising how a correct solution "looks" correct: nice intermolecular contacts and a pleasing distribution of mass throughout the unit cell (meaning expand out to at least a unit cell volume, which is easy in Pymol).  Any unexplained gaps (meaning not caused by a missing domain) should be viewed critically.

Regards and Good Luck,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
603 Wilson Rd., Rm. 513
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  [log in to unmask]