Von: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Im Auftrag von Matthew Bratkowski
Gesendet: Freitag, 16. Mai 2014 00:51
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: [ccp4bb] Issue with Molecules per Asymmetric Unit for Molecular Replacement

Hello all,

I am working on the structure of a small protein in space group P212121.  The protein is monomeric in solution based on gel filtration analysis.  The Matthews Coefficeint program indicates that 9-10 molecules per asymmetric unit results in ~50% solvent content, while 1 molecule per asymmetric unit results in ~95% solvent.

 I tried molecular replacement with a search model which is essentially identical in sequence to my protein, and searched for 9 or 10 molecules/asu.  Using MolRep with 9 or 10 molecules/asu, I get poor contrast scores around 1-1.5.  However, when using Phaser, I get a solution with one molecules/asu.  Likewise, when I went back and tried MolRep with 1 molecule/asu, I got a contrast score of 3.12.  This model still has some issues, but looks more correct compaired to models created with 9 or 10  molecules/asu.

It seems highly unlikely that a crystal would contain 95% solvent, but is there any possiblility that this could be the case?  Assuming that the Matthews coefficient is correct, does anyone have an idea why MR seems to work better for 1 molecule/asu with 95% solvent content compared to 9-10 molecules with 50% solvent content? Alternatively, is there any reason why the Matthews coefficient could be calculating incorrectly?  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Matt