Please also note that it has been argued that life-threatening theophylline toxicity is not predictable by serum levels: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3792059

All the best, Joseph Watine, France

Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 14:46:23 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Time of sampling for theophylline measurement
To: [log in to unmask]

Emma

By co-incidence we have been discussing this with pharmacy. In West Yorks it is believed that all preparations of theophylline are given as sustained release preparations so there is wisdom in taking 6-10 hours post dose samples as toxicity is related to peak concentrations.
Our involvement was triggered by pharmacy recommending annual plasma measurements and I was asking for the evidence for this blanket recommendation! but not been given it yet.

BW
Julian

Julian H Barth
Chair, Clinical Reference Group for Obesity, NHS England
Consultant Chemical Pathologist
Leeds General Infirmary
Leeds LS1 3EX

tel 0113 392 3607
fax 0113 392 5174
>>> "Ashley Emma (KINGSTON HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST)"             <[log in to unmask]> 14 May 2014 11:05 >>>

Dear all,

We've had a query from one of our clinicians regarding sampling timing for oral theophylline.  Our local guidelines state that levels should be taken immediately pre-dose.  However the BNF and the product literature state that it should be taken 4-6 hours post dose.   Is this because by 4-6 hours post dose, trough levels are reached? Which is the recommended time to measure?

Many thanks,
Emma

Emma Ashley

Senior Clinical Biochemist

Kingston Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Galsworthy Road

Kingston upon Thames

Surrey KT2 7QB

Tel. 020 8934 3309

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/